This course is a Nationally Recognised qualification and is the first step in gaining the skills to work effectively in residential group homes, training centres, day respite centres and/or employment services where you will be able to provide person-centred assistance to people who require care due to disability.
You can access this course by direct entry but it would also be suitable for you if you have some experience and need to formalise your qualifications.
This qualification is delivered in the classroom and also requires 120 hours of practical placement in a community or residential setting which will give you real-life experience in the sector. Our qualified trainer will visit you on-site at your placement to observe and assess this course.
Commences: 12th February 2020
Day: Wednesdays / Tuesdays
Times: 9:oo am to 3:00 pm
Final face to face class: 14th October 2020
Completion: 10th February 2021
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Disability support is an extremely rewarding industry to work in and on completion of the course you will be able to provide physical and social support to individuals in a variety of capacities, including in residential group homes, training centres, day respite and employment services settings. This course also prepares you for further study or employment in the disability sector.
Recognition of prior learning
Participants wishing to apply for RPL will need to discuss it at the Pre-Training Review with the CEO.
Units of Competency
- CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
- CHCCCS023 Support independence & well being
- CHCCOM005 Communicate & work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCCCS011 Meet personal support needs
- CHCCCS025 Support relationships with carers and families
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- CHCDIS001 Contribute to on-going skills development using a strengths-based approach
- CHCDIS002 Follow established person-centred behaviour supports
- CHCDIS003 Support community participation and social inclusion
- CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
To gain the qualification all units must be completed. For partial completion, a Statement of Attainment will be issued.
Nationally Recognised Training at the Laurels Education and Training is delivered with funding made available by the Victorian and Commonwealth Governments.
Attend all face-to-face classes
Complete out of class work – average of 4 to 6 hours per week of self-paced learning including completion of assignments, research and assessments
Complete 120 hours of practical placement